About Frank Nneji
Mr. Frank Nneji was born on 30th April, 1960 in Kaduna. He hails from Ezuhu Nguru, Aboh Mbaise LGA, Imo State. He studied at Christ the King School, now Community School, Lagwa, Okwuato in Aboh Mbaise Local Government Area of Imo State, from 1965 to 1971; obtaining his First school Leaving Certificate in 1971. His Secondary School education began in 1972 at Mbaise Secondary School, Aboh Mbaise, from where he passed the Ordinary Level School Certificate in 1976.
Mr Frank worked as an Auxiliary Teacher for two years after his secondary education, from 1976 to 1978 at St. Michaels Primary School, Okwuato; before proceeding for his university education at the renowned University of Nigeria, Nsukka in 1978. At the university he was the Director of Transport with the University Government during his 300 level in 1981. He graduated with a Bachelor Degree in Zoology in 1982. He participated in the one year Nigerian National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme in 1982.
Mr Frank Nneji passed through the Chief Executive Programme of the Lagos Business School [LBS], Nigeria (2004) and Wharton Business School, Philadelphia, USA (2001).
Mr Nneji ventured into early entrepreneurship with the establishment of Rapido Ventures Limited at the completion of his NYSC in 1983. Rapido Ventures grew to an educational products’ manufacturing company referred to as Rapido Audio-visuo Products (AVP) Limited, and is credited to popularizing audio visual teaching aids in Nigeria. This initial venture, became the West Africa’s leading manufacturer and distributor of education, training and presentation (ETP) products.
Mr Frank Nneji orginated modern transportation in Nigeria with the founding of ABC Transport Plc in February 13, 1993; a division of Rapido Ventures Limited – ten years after the formation of ABC Transport. Mr Frank made West African countries closer than ever with the launch of COACH WEST-AFRICA on the 16th July, 2004 with state-of-the-art fleets, very suitable for business travel and tourism. This service has since then enhanced travel and tours within the ECOWAS region.
ABC Transport, “An Airplane on land” is a non-stop service that ensures arrival at destination on time; clean, cool, refreshed. World-class Factory fitted air-conditioner is made available on all Coaches, Sprinters and Shuttles complimented with tinted side windows and thick blinds. Refreshment is served at all times during journeys. On-Board TV episodes and Magazines are provided during travels. This is in addition to certain national dailies provided free of charge. The Coaches has interior furnishing with executive soft seats and extra-long legroom with toilet facilities. This is Mr Frank’s plan to ensure Passengers’ convenience during journeys. The standards ABC Transports set for its long distance bus service has remained the standard for all long distance bus services in Nigeria strive to reach. Mr Frank Nneji successfully listed ABC Transport in the Nigerian Stock Exchange in 2006 after equity linked partnership with Capital Alliance Private Equity (CAPE). ABC TPT has over 22,000 shareholders presently.
In addition to the Passenger services which ABC transport initially stands for, the company diversified into haulage, cargo and hospitality business: ABC Haulage Division (ABC Hauls), ABC Cargo Division (Cargo Express) and City Transit Inn and Mayfair Suites and Conference Center.
Mr Frank’s other Companies
Transit Supports Services Limited (TSSL) was established by Mr Frank Nneji in 2007 with a view to provide support to the transport sector. He grew TSSL to commence vehicle assembly, and is licensed by the Nigerian National Automotive Development Council in 2014. TSSL in conjunction with Anambra Motor Manufacturing Company (ANAMMCO) assembles Shacman and Forland trucks, as well as Baw mini buses.
Mr Nneji established Rapido Foods Limited in 2012 as a food processing company, located in Owerri, the Imo State capital. Through Rapido Foods, he has contributed immensely in generating jobs for the teeming youths in Imo State. The brand ‘fibi’ sausage roll, introduced into the Nigerian market in 2013, has become a major brand in the country.
Mr. Nneji is the:
- Managing Director/CEO, ABC Transport Plc
- Chairman, Rapido Ventures Ltd
- Chairman, Rapido Foods Ltd (Producers of Fibi Sausage Rolls)
- Chairman, Transit Support Services Ltd (Assemblers of Baw vehicles, Shacman and Forland trucks in Nigeria)
- Chairman, Mayfair Suites and Conference Centre, Egbu Road, Owerri
- Managing Director, City Transit Inn, Abuja
- Managing Director, Abuja City Sightseeing Tours, Nigeria.
The groups employ over 2,000 direct staff.
Awards of Honours and Fellowships
In 2005, the Federal Government of Nigeria awarded Mr. Nneji the Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON) for his innovations and successful business initiatives. Other awards received from various organizations include:
- Bus Operator of the Year (1996)
- Outstanding Young Person of the Year Award (1997) by the Nigerian Jaycees
- Fate Model Entrepreneur by the Fate Foundation (2001)
- Silver Jubilee Award from Imo State Government (2001) for distinguished contribution to the development of Imo State
- Best Road Passenger Operator award (2002)
- Best Security Friendly Conscious Land Operator of the Year Award (2006)
- Keyman Award for the Most Outstanding Entrepreneur in the Transport Industry (2012) by Enugu Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture.
Frank has been awarded by some institutions for his contributions to educational development: UNAA Most Outstanding Role Model (2010) by UNN Alumni Association
- Most Proactive Educational Support (2012) from Imo State Universal Basic Education Board
- Award of Excellence – for promoting child educational development in Nigeria (2013) by Knowledge International Schools
- Award of Excellence (2016) in recognition of his distinguished contributions to zoology and Societal Development in Nigeria.
- Fellow, Federal Polytechnic Nekede (2013)
- Fellow, Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education, Owerri (2013)
- Honorary Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport [CILT], UK
Mr Frank Nneji has held the following appointments:
- Member, Steering Committee, Road Transport, Bureau for Public Enterprise, 2001.
- Board Member, Federal Roads Maintenance Agency. (FERMA), 2002-2003.
- President, Owerri Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (OCCIMA), 2002-2003.
- Chairman, Imo State Tsunami Disaster Relief Committee, 2005.
- Trustee, South East Chambers of Committee (2013 to date).
- Member, West Africa Road Safety Organisation (2013 to date).
- Deputy President, Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport [CILT], Nigeria.
Mr Frank Nneji’s Contributions towards Education
- Built and donated 3 classroom blocks to Community Primary School in Lagwa-Okwuato, Aboh Mbaise in 1996, Community Primary School in Ezuhu Nguru, Aboh Mbaise in 1998 and other Community Primary Schools in Umuoba Uratta, Owerri North in 2003.
- Donated training equipment to Government Technical College, Owerri in 2000 and 2004 and to Ahiara Technical College, Ahiazu Mbaise in 2002.
- Instituted an annual scholarship worth over four million naira to 12 undergraduates in some Nigerian universities from 2012 to 2015.
- Initiated the development of the equipment of tertiary institutions’ automobile departments in Nigeria with donation of luxury buses to four institutions, viz: Imo State University, Lagos State University, Federal Polytechnic Nekede, & University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
Philanthropy and Mentorship
As a social and responsible citizen, Mr. Frank Nneji’s philanthropy and mentorship also extends to non-educational sectors and in sporting activities:
- Rapido Youth Table Tennis Championship (1989-1995)
- ABC Open Squash Championship (1998-2001)
- Soccer Boys FC, Owerri (2012 to date)
- Regular charity to motherless babies’ homes
- Rapido Foods Football Club, the Fibi FC (2015 to date)
- Regular financial, moral and logistic support for the youth through mentorship schemes, talk shows and discussion programmes
- a mentor in the FATE Foundation’s entrepreneurial development programme
Mr Frank Nneji’s Financial Integrity
Mr Nneji has conducted his businesses in the most credible and transparent ways, gaining recognition from many financiers including the Nigeria Export/Import Bank which recognized ABC Transport as its best performing client in the service sector for the year 2005 and Fidelity Bank distinguished customer award in 2015.
Mr Frank Nneji (OON) is a table tennis and squash racket player. He has four children with Mrs. Ngozi Nneji, also a graduate of Zoology of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.